Sunday, February 17, 2013

On The Streets of Montreal

My inspiration to write this poem came to me one day while I was on Facebook. A dear friend and poet whom I'd met on HubPages, Vincent Moore, had mentioned that he was having a bit of a dry spell as far as writing. Both of us are from Montreal, and anyways the one thing I always think about when I remember back to my childhood is Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwiches. Sure you can get these delicious sandwiches other places but for some reason they just don't taste as good as they do at Schwartz's or Reubens's.

This poem is dedicated to one of my favorite poets Vincent.



Montreal Smoked Meat on Rye
Source: By chensiyuan (chensiyuan) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0-2.5-2.0-1.0


On The Streets of Montreal


On the streets of Montreal
Restaurants call
Smoked meat sandwiches
Dills on the side
Of course served on the best rye
Don't make me beg, don't make me cry
Mustard slathered with affection
Heated to perfection
A little fat deep inside
Makes my mouth water
With anticipation
Pile it high pile it high
How far do I have to drive
To satisfy my cravings
For such a delicious creation
I can almost taste it
I am aroused
Your aroma drives me wild
I need you now
Smoked meat how I desire you

© Copyright 2011 Susan Zutautas